On Sunday I got to watch some of the General Young Women Conference Meeting. My sister was not able to go to the broadcast on Saturday night so we went dvr'd it ( I love the BYU channel and modern technology!) and we watched a few of the talks. I loved them all but President Monson talked about courage. He talked about courage to do the right things and one thing that was very interesting that he said takes a lot of courage was that he asked the young women to have courage to include everyone and be genuinely nice. He shared a story about a group of young women and one girl in particular who grew up with the girls but she was mentally disabled and sometimes said the wrong thing and did not wear the same clothes that they did so often the leaders were her only friends and the only ones who included her at the activities. But then a new girl that was cute, outgoing and popular (and also a redhead! no joke he said that! so obviously she was cute and nice and everyone liked her! hahaha I have too much redhead pride!) but one thing was that she always made it a point to include the girl who was different and because of her example everyone else followed her because they wanted to be like her and even when that girl moved from the neighborhood everyone was still nice because the genuinely became friends with her. I really do try my best to have courage in everything that I do and I like to think that I include others and make others feel good but I can always be better and have more courage. I try to be positive when there is so much negativity surrounding me. A good friend said something to me that really stuck with me. She said that Satan all the time tries to get us down on ourselves when that is not what Christ wants he wants us to be hopeful, to have courage that we can be better and that we are good and have so much worth.
I look at my two little girls and I think about the courage that they will have to have to face the world that awaits for them and it breaks my heart! But I need to be an example of courage for them so that they can follow my example. I believe that I am couragous but I need to be more so.
I hope for courage to become a better mother and wife
I hope for courage to not let the things of the world get me down
I hope for courage to become more of an example of Christ and someone that lets his light shine through them
I hope for courage to always remember who I am and choose the right
I hope for courage to recognize when I fall I can always rely on him.
I know this is kind of deeper but I have been more reflective lately and it is good. The full talk is not yet available but it will be soon and in the mean time go here and find inspiration.
2 comments:
I'll have to look up that talk, sounds great! One of my favorite quotes that I've had written on the inside of my BOM since I was a teen is from Howard W. Hunter and he said:
"We must ask ourselves, 'What would Jesus do' and then be more courageous to act upon the answer"
I like that sooo much.
What a nice post Brooke! I'm sitting here sicker than a dog (seriously, I had to have Aaron stay home and play Mr. Mom) and I just couldn't look at anymore TV...came online and feel uplifted, so thanks! lol
Great post, Brooke! I think you are such a courageous girl! Thanks for being such a great example!!! xoxo
Post a Comment